Bloody Hell Maria
Bloody Hell Maria - Serves 6
• 1L Woolworths Tomato Cocktail Blend*
• 2 Tbsp Creamy horseradish
• Juice of 1 lime (about 2-3 Tbsp)
• 300ml Blanco
• 2 Chipotle chilies in adobo**
• Celery salt (optional)
*Woolies tomato cocktail blend already contains Worcestershire sauce, if you use another brand of tomato juice be sure to add in 2 Tbsp
** Chipotle chili in adobo can be found at Frankie Fenner Meat Merchants or any El Burro in Cape town. Live outside the mother city? Woolworths has a chipotle seasoning and Yuppiechef stocks a number of chipotle seasonings and sauces in their online shop. I suggest adding all of these swaps to taste prior to adding salt and finishing the mix. When in a real pinch, some finely minced red chili or sriracha to taste will do the trick too!
• Remove the chili from the spicy adobo sauce and chop very very finely.
• Mix the tomato juice blend, horseradish, and minced chipotle together. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
• Once ready to serve dip the rims of the glasses in water and into the celery salt (optional). Add the Blanco and lime to the tomato mix and add salt to taste. If you want more smokey chili heat add a few more minced chipotles and give the mix a good stir
•. Fill your glasses with ice and serve.
Meaning “white” in Spanish, this one is smooth and smokey. It is an un-aged variant in the pride characterized by the smooth but distinctly smokey flavour and is the closest adaptation to an authentic Mezcal.